What started out with me craving rice... then something tomato-y.... and ... warm and cheesy, ended up with me making a late night run to the grocery store and making stuffed red peppers. I only eat things I crave, which makes things very inconvenient sometimes.
You will need
2 cups rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
3 italian sausages
5 red peppers
1 medium sized onion
2 tbsp chopped black olives
cheese of your choice, I used parmesan.
and wine... I don't remember where I put it... but it was there.
Preheat the oven to 350
1. Put the rice, chicken broth, and tomatoes in a pot on medium heat, cover and let the rice cook. Stirring occasionally to make sure the rice doesn't burn. If you get burnt rice, save what you can and put it into a new pot.
2. Remove the casing of the sausages and cook the sausages in a frying pan, breaking up the sausage so it looks like ground beef
3. drain some of the fat, and put aside the sausage
4. Dice the onions, red peppers and mushrooms
5. Cook the onions, red peppers and mushrooms in the sausage fat, or olive oil, but I chose the fattier, and more cholesterol filled route. (do this in portions if you need to, so you don't overcrowd the vegetables. If you overcrowd them, they will sit in their juices and not brown and turn mushy)
6. Add the sausage, vegetables, olives, and egg to the rice. (and cheese if you want). Mix
7. Cut the red peppers about an inch from the top, take out the seeds, and rinse well
8. Stuff the red peppers with the rice, and bake in oven
9. Cook until the peppers are browning at the top and becoming wrinkly and soft
10. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve
maybe this is when the wine came into the picture...