10/16/11

Thai curry pumpkin soup



Going with the theme of fall... and because I had a can of pumpkin puree in my fridge, I made thai curry pumpkin soup. This is the first time I made it and it turned out quite well, which my roommates can attest to.

You will need,
1 tbsp olive oil, or butter I used a little bit of both
1 medium sized onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, which unfortunately could not make it to the photoshoot
1 can pumpkin puree 
1 can coconut milk
1 can Chicken broth
3 tbsp thai red curry paste
1 tbsp crushed red pepper paste
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper

... Or so I think this is what I put in there. Make it to taste!

 Heat up the oil in a large skillet and add minced garlic, cook for a little bit, then add the onions, and ginger. Cook until the onions become transparent.
 Add the pumpkin, thai curry paste, crushed red pepper paste and cumin.
 Transfer to a pot and add the chicken broth and coconut milk. I used a little less than one can of the broth. Then bring to boil, let it simmer for a few minutes. You can serve as is, or you can puree it in a blender. If you are going to puree it, do it small portions, and make sure you open the lid of the blender and let the heat vent before blending. If you don't you will end up being sprayed with scalding hot pumpkin soup.
Garnish with cilantro, and serve with bread lathered in butter. If you like cilantro, you can chop it up and add it to your soup too. You can top it off with sour cream, yogurt or cream cheese, which I've never really been a fan of.

 Then eat!

1 comment:

Thank you for your lovely comment.