11/9/11

Baked eggs 2.0

Baked eggs just got better! This is inspired by the brunch special I had at Le Cartet (if you live in montreal and have not gone to this place, you should. Over-priced hipster joint with great food, and option of getting a mimosa with your breakfast. My favorite) Unfortunately I was feeling horrendously ill when I went, so I don't remember exactly what I ate, but I think this was close.



You will need
2 eggs
2 slices of eggplant
1/2 red pepper
1/2 small onion
4 tbsp cream
2 tbsp pesto
2 tbsp goat cheese
salt and pepper to taste


Place a slice of eggplant in each ramekin. Before Roasting or pan frying your eggplant, Slice the eggplant into 1.5 cm thick slice, sprinkle with salt. Place the slices on a colander, and put a plate or bowl on top of the slices for 30 mins to 1 hr then rinse and pat dry. This is called "purging" it removes the bitter flavour and makes the eggplant less spongy which means it will absorb less oil. I usually do this before so that I'm not waiting 1 hour for my eggplant to purge before I can eat.


 Crack an egg into each, and add cream


Caramelize the onions. To caramelize, cook the onions on low- medium heat for a long time. Fry or roast the red peppers. Add to the ramekin.


Add 1 tbsp goat cheese and 1 tbsp pesto. Bake in the oven for 10 mins at 400 degrees, or until the cream starts to boil.


Serve with Toast... and bacon.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment.