12/4/11

Southern fried chicken, made by a Korean girl

This weekend, I watched the movie "The help" based on the novel. In the movie, one of the maids, Minnie, makes the most amazing looking fried chicken so naturally, I had to have it. So I went out and got my Crisco as Minnie suggested and made some southern fried chicken, using this recipe
http://www.thegalleygourmet.net/2011/06/southern-fried-chicken.html
I doubled the amount of spices. I also added about 2 tbsp tabasco sauce to the buttermilk marinade. I added 4 tbsp buttermilk to the batter instead of 3 because I really like the crumbly bits.

 
 But, I'm not southern, so there is a limit to how much plain fried chicken I can eat. To make things a little more interesting, I made a korean sauce using this recipe
http://www.seasaltwithfood.com/2011/10/korean-fried-chicken-yangnyeom.html.
I used corn syrup instead of rice syrup, rice vinegar instead of apple vinegar and and added 2 tsp of sugar.
 So then my southern fried chicken became korean yangneum chicken. My friends couldn't pronounce that, so now it's just called yum yum chicken. And it really is, yum yum.
 
Serve it with salad (Your heart likes that kind of thing). I made mine with tomatoes, onions, red peppers, corn, kidney beans, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

Thank you for your lovely comment.